Monday, July 21, 2008

Brother, Don't You Walk Away

I have been reading Ron Donkin's blog (Thin Places) for several months. Good blog. He has turned me on to a band I've never heard of: The Hooters.

These guys can play.

They've got several good songs/videos that can be used in some sort of topical event at church. Think I'm gonna use this one.

Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, "Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup--where does that get you? Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense? I can already hear one of you agreeing by saying, "Sounds good. You take care of the faith department, I'll handle the works department." Not so fast. You can no more show me your works apart from your faith than I can show you my faith apart from my works. Faith and works, works and faith, fit together hand in glove. Do I hear you professing to believe in the one and only God, but then observe you complacently sitting back as if you had done something wonderful? That's just great. Demons do that, but what good does it do them? Use your heads! Do you suppose for a minute that you can cut faith and works in two and not end up with a corpse on your hands?
-- JAMES 2:14-20 The Message



1 comment:

roy said...

they are a wonderful band. The two main songwriters - Eric Bazilian and Rob Hyman - together and separately have written a number of familiar songs - What If God Was One of Us, True Colors, and Time after Time stand out.

Eric Bazilian went to a Quaker school and often includes religious and social justice themes in his work.