Saturday, November 29, 2008

Annual Christmas Decoration Rant

Don't get me started on Christmas! Bring the boxes up. Unpack the boxes. Untangle the lights (that takes a couple of hours). Plug 'em up. They don't work. Spend another hour trying the find the screwed up bulb. Give up trying to find it. Go to the store & start cussing because they don't have the same type of lights this year. Of course my wife wants the lights on the tree to all be the same so I spend $25 on new lights. Go home & one of the kids will step on the string, breaking some of the bulbs. Not enough replacements. Go back to the store & they don't have any replacement bulbs. Buy another string plus one string for spare. Go home & get the ladder out. Cuss again because my hands are turning blue in the cold. Plug 'em up. Blow a fuse. Can't find the flash light because the kids/wife have used it & didn't put it back. Get the power back on. Start putting up the millions of things wife has collected over the last 20 years. Watch her cry when she breaks a couple of 'em. Fusses at me 'cause she is in a bad mood over taking so long & broken ornaments. Kids are starving. Run & get some fast food & spend another $20. Get home & finish the decorating. Put on the Christmas music & wife wants to take pictures for "memories." No film or batteries. Go back to the store for both. Store doesn't have either. End up buying 2 disposable cameras. Fume some more. Get home & everyone has eaten everything, including my dinner. Take enough pictures to compile a National Geographic pictorial for a year. Wife fusses at me for being grumpy --- spent the entire Christmas budget in one day, starving, & smoke coming out my ears. Dog & cats get in the tree. Tree falls over. More broken ornaments. Use bungee cords attached to the stair railing to secure the tree. Wife cries some more over more broken ornaments. I retreat to my desk to get away from the very tired but wound up kids. Wifey yells because I have to put up the now-empty boxes. I put up the boxes. Family sits around & admire the decorations. I'm still fuming. Take Pepto. Sleep on the couch.

Don't get me started on Christmas!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Georgia Mountain Man said...

Christmas decorating at our house takes place over the course of several days as the wife slowly gets the stuff out and spreads it around the house. The tree usually gets done closer to Christmas, and the egg nog she makes to go along with the hanging of the ornaments and lights on the tree really takes the edge off any accumulated tensions, when I add a couple of tablespoons of Bacardi.

Dirk said...

Very good, Ryan, very good! Quite accurate too! And before you know it, you get to all again in reverse! LOL!

Dirk
http://tsalagiman2.blogspot.com/

HAPPY IN NEVADA said...

That was a treat; something they should play out on Saturday Night Live.

Found your post on Dirk's page so came to 'peek'...

I'll hook up an rss feed since you seem to have a real sense of humor and style in your writing.

Diane