Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Get the Mind in Gear

I've been trying to organize and de-stress my world. While it is not exactly what a 90 minute deep tissue massage would do, I have found a few things that help me.

  1. Get organized. I know this sounds like kindergarten talk, but it really is the Starfleet General Order 1.  I have tried every "new and improved" system, gimmick, idea, and all-around well-meaning suggestion. None of them work. I finally went back to the organizational system I used in college --- a series of file folders, some lose leaf paper punched with a 2 hold punch, and a clipboard and legal pad. Yep. Back to old school. The legal pad for daily note taking of ideas; the divided file folder for my notes of various projects; and the paper records of things I need to keep. It makes sense in my brain and it works for me.
  2. I spent a whole month watching YouTube videos of tips and tricks and ideas on how to use Googe, Gmail, Google Docs, Chrome, extensions, etc. A whole month. Granted, the 2 hours at the gym each day helped accomplish this but I got some fantastic ideas. Check out DottoTech on YouTube for some things that may change you life.
  3. Forget the TV or music in the background. Use nature sounds. AMBI Nature Radio  (I listen via Tune In Radio) or Noisli cannot be overstated for the relaxation and increase in work productivity. 
  4. Live Start Page. Take a few minutes to explore it, set it up with bookmarks, and keep one of those windows open. It may be sappy; it may sound wimply; it may even sound crazy as hell; but I'm telling you, I am much more productive and feel better using those nature sounds while working. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Other ideas?